so hiya there
Pues, I am in MN now! It has been an interesting week that's for sure. The first day we got here we just stayed at the mission home all day and ate dinner and met our trainers. Something interesting....I'm not in the city! I assumed I would be in the city my whole mission, but I am actually in a small town called St. Peter (or San Pedro as we call it). It is about an hour and a half out of Minneapolis/St. Paul. There are like 11,000 people in this town, but it is so tiny I love it! There are tons of little towns all separated by farms and corn fields and forests galore. Our area is huge, so we have a car. We don't have to ride bikes, unless our miles in our car run out which is nice. We are the only missionaries here in St. Peter, but we cover tons of cities. It is a new area, my companera and her old comp opened it and so a lot of the people here haven't seen missionaries for a long time, if ever! The church is in Mankato, which is about 20 minutes away from San Pedro. But I am in a Spanish area. We do a lot of teaching in English.....and its been hard to get used to. When I had my interview with President C he asked me to pray in English, and I totally forgot how. It was so weird. I'm kind of getting used to it now, but teaching is still super weird.
My companera is Hermana W. She is from Utah too! Apparently I'm killing her. It means she only has 2 transfers left, so she goes home after she trains me. She is awesome, super focused and works hard. I have a feeling that after she leaves, I will take over this area. I might even be training, who knows! I hope I can eventually be in the city though. The people here have a Minnesota accent!!!!! Only if they are from here, and you can tell. Basically everyone in our ward is from Utah somehow, so they all know where Bountiful is.
Conference was awesome! My favorite talk was by D. He talked about not living in the past. I really needed that because I have been living in the past. I keep comparing things here to the CCM, and I miss the CCM SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. I was having a hard time a few days ago, because I just wished I could be back in Mexico. His talk made me realize that I can't live in the past. If I want to move forward, I have to let the past go, and by that I mean at least not live in it. In all his devocionals, Pres. Holland always says something like "No one will ever have as good as a mission experience that I did" And I feel like that is the same with me from the CCM, I don't think anyone could have possibily loved it as much as I have, and even though I miss it so much and would do it over again in a heartbeat, I need to remember why I am here. I didn't go on a mission to go to the CCM, I came to do what I am doing NOW. Teaching people and inviting them to be baptized. I just need to keep having faith that I can grow to love San Pedro as much as Benemerito.
Some of our investigators came to conference and or priesthood session! It was so exciting. One of our investigators, Hmo. C, lives really far away, in the middle of the forest, alone, and all he does all day is work. So he basically has a boring life. We really want him to meet people in the ward so he can have friends, and because he came he met friends! It was so cute. We watched the last session in Spanish so we could watch with our investigators, and he sat by some recent converts who also speak Spanish, and I just wanted to take a picture of them sitting all together IT WAS SOOOO CUTE!!!!! Our ward is both English and Spanish, I guess they call it a magnet ward.
Basically everyone we are teaching lives in a trailer park. They are like 97% Hispanic and 3% americans. So we just spend A LOT of time in trailer parks haha everyone know us there. I am really glad I am Spanish speaking here. When we knock doors, the people are really polite about not wanting to hear about our religion, but all the Hispanics are willing to listen and they always let us in their houses. They are just so much more hospitable.
We have an investigator, B, and he is really old, but super funny. He doesn't seem to get, no matter how many times we have told him, that this church is the ONLY true church. He is going to get baptized, but hes just so funny, I don't think he quite understands. He always tells people " I think I like this church!" Whenever he comes. I love that guy
There aren't a lot of members here in St. Peter, so we don't eat with members very often. But when we do it is glorious. Yesterday a sister invited us in between sessions of conference, and so of course we went!!! It was like sunday dinner food, and it made me a little homesick, but it was nicer than having the usual pb and j sandwich! Breakfast has become my new favorite meal on my mission. It is just SO GOOD. I miss is in the CCM, but here I make huevos and put salsa on them everyday and its almost like I am in Mexico. I am serious when I say this, I am GOING to live there after my mission. If I can find ANY excuse to go, I am going. I am going through Mexico withdrawls, and probably will until I go back.
I cant really think of anything else to tell you guys, there was a TON that happened, but I forgot to write it all down. I will for sure remember next week. OH I remember one thing. So my area is super close to New UIm, that one city from New in Town! Its a real place! Apparently the people there are from German descent and are super funny. Sadly, its not in my area, but its just like 20 minutes away!
I love breakfast. I wish I could have it for every meal!!!
That's all I can think of. Have a great week. Bye now!
Hermana Jones
No comments:
Post a Comment